We are excited for the start of our new blog and look forward to sharing news about our products, links to interesting sites and blogs, information on Gluten Free sources and retail locations, delicious and easy to make recipes, and a lot more.
So to start our new blog, here is a fantastic recipe for Aleia's Scallop Cakes! They are a nice variation of the traditional crab cake. So, straight from Aleia's founder, Kim, here is our recipe!
1/2 lb. of scallops, bay or sea (bays are smaller than seas)
1/2 of a small Vidalia onion - small dice
1 rib (a.k.a. stalk) of celery - small dice
1/4 cup of sherry
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper
1 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning
1/4-1/2 cup of Aleia's Plain bread crumbs
1. Using a medium sized sauce pan melt your butter.
2. Add onions and celery, sauté until they become translucent.
3. Add sherry and bring it all to a boil!
4. Reduce the heat
5. At this time you will add the old bay seasoning, salt and pepper and then the star of the show....Aleia's Plain bread crumbs. Mix until it comes together. If you are left with extra liquid, add more bread crumbs until it is bound by the crumbs, a moist consistency that can be caked!
6. Let it cool completely. This is very important because you don't want to prematurely cook your scallops.
7. Add scallops. Do not worry if they begin to break up. Mix until the mixture comes together into one ball. At this time you can be creative with your cake sizes. For uniformity I would recommend an ice cream scoop but if you are looking for a large portion just dig in and make patties with your hands!
8. Time to cook 'em up! You can use the stove or oven.
Stove: On medium heat, using a small frying pan place enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan lightly. Once hot, place your scallop cakes in the pan and cook away. You want the cakes to be golden brown on each side, approx. 5-8 minutes a side will accomplish that golden brown crunch.
Oven: Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Oil pan slightly (you can use a sheet pan or a frying pan) make sure it is oven proof, handle and all! Place the cakes on the pan and cook until golden brown. This will take about 5-8 minutes per side for a total cook time of 10-16 minutes.